Blue Box Top

Performance. - RapidSpell WPF - Forum

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Options
TMulder
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 4, 2011 10:06:15 PM

Groups: Registered

Hi,

We did some tests on the spell as you type single textbox in your example. We noticed that if you have lots of spelling errors, the typing of new text becomes very slow. Is there something you can do to fix that?

Thanks
Jim
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 4, 2011 10:15:58 PM

Groups: Administrators, Registered

RichTextBox?

Jim

-your feedback is helpful to other users, thank you!

Evaluation Downloads - http://keyoti.com/products

TMulder
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 5, 2011 10:25:36 AM

We used the first example in your example project
Jim
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 5, 2011 3:00:10 PM

Yes, that's a RichTextBox - unfortunately it's difficult to work with, so there's unlikely to be anything we can do without API changes in .NET (ie future versions).

You may find it works noticably faster when you're not debugging in VS (ie ctrl-F5).

Is that a deal breaker, or do you still need something for find/replace (your other thread)?

Thanks,
Jim

TMulder
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 5, 2011 5:31:56 PM

Find and replace is not that important and would not be a deal breaker.
However the slowness would.
Are you sure you can't do anything on the slowness?
We currenlty have a inhouse built WPF spellchecker that we are trying to replace, because it is too much maintenance. We got it to work very fast with the richtextbox with no text limit. It took some time to get it correct though.
Have a play with the background Tasks and only check stuff that has changed.
I can probably give you more tips if you want, in return for something from you :-)
TMulder
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:10:49 PM

Forgot to mention. We had noticed the performance difference between running with a debugger and without also. We have only tested it without after that. You just need about 20 lines of faulty text and it'll slow down typing a lot. We have tested it on PCs with quad cores, 8 G ram, and Windows 7.
Jim
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:14:22 PM

>Have a play with the background Tasks and only check stuff that has changed.

Yes it's not the spell checking that's slow, it's mapping the rich text to plain text. Is your spell checker an as-you-type one?

> can probably give you more tips if you want, in return for something from you :-)

Erm, I'm a married man! ;-)

Well if you have any tips on how you manage to speedily go back and forth between plain text indices and TextPointers - OR, if you were able to avoid that, I'd be interested to hear it and I'm sure we can work out something favourable for you if it's useful.

Feel free to email me via support at keyoti.com and we can talk more.

Best
Jim

TMulder
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:47:05 PM

LOL. cool. I'll see if I can give the code or hints to you.
egeerts
#9 Posted : Monday, August 7, 2017 12:05:45 PM

TMulder wrote:
Hi,

We did some tests on the spell as you type single textbox in your example. We noticed that if you have lots of spelling errors, the typing of new text becomes very slow. Is there something you can do to fix that?

Thanks

I was curious whether or not the adorner could be optimized. When pasting a large text with many spelling errors, it seems slow, and it's blocking the UI Thread. MS Word doesn't really suffer from that and seems to do it async, I mean it doesn't interfer with user activity.
Additionally I was wondering if they (MS) actually embedded the markings for incorrect spelling in the control's template instead of using an adorner? Or perhaps have a scrollable adorner, I wouldn't know why it has to be as slow as it is whilst obviously (MS) it's possible to perform a whole better.
Jim
#10 Posted : Monday, August 7, 2017 3:32:33 PM

We've thought about this a lot. You can't do underline painting in another thread because it has to be in synch. with the text the user is typing.

Regarding MS, yes they can do it better but I know for a fact that they use a lot of internal short cuts (literally internal API calls) that we don't have access to. The thing about the WPF RTB is that for what we're doing it's hard to work with a Run based document when you need absolute character indices for underlining.

You can see the source for highlighting in my find/replace control, https://www.codeproject....trol-For-Almost-All-WPF

Feel free to experiment with it if you have time - it highlights in the same way that RapidSpell does.