Title Back Colour Keyoti Title Line Title Curve
Blue Box Top

Registration Form Appears for End-User who has Team Foundation Server installed - RapidSpell Desktop .NET - Forum

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Options
areichhart
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 23, 2021 9:09:45 AM

Groups: Registered

Hi team,

It has been a while since i last needed to look into the rapid-spell component, still a relieable addon for our software.

Some months ago, a customer, which is a city council of a medium city in Austria contacted us, that his users always get the lovely "Hey Developers, thanks for trying out Rapid-Spell - Please Register" Dialog on Startup. The issue got a bit dusted on our side, but recently we got reminded that this is a pressing issue.
We provided them with a normal end-user installation and the software is installed on a normal windows file-server, which is access by the user. We have those kinds of installation at around 50 customers, and this is the only one that reported the problem, so i had no explanation about the issue, as we couldn't reproduce it. Through your KB i assume now, this is because they have Microsoft Team Foundation server installed.

Do you have an advice what i should do?

Jim
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 23, 2021 5:40:03 PM

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Hi, no it's not because they have TFS installed. TFS only matters if you are building the application using TFS and then you need to do some extra steps to register the key. So it isn't that.

When you compile your application it embeds a license for RapidSpell in your EXE, this is part of the standard .NET control licensing scheme. However, the .NET licensing scheme invalidates embedded licenses if your exe is modified, eg.

1. if the file name is changed
2. if a virus modifies it
3. disk corruption

and perhaps other reasons I haven't thought of.

So my conclusion would be that this particular install has been modified somehow.

Probably the easiest first step is to reinstall your software, or at least switch their EXE for your original version. Check that no where is the filename modified after creation, etc.

Hope that helps
Jim
-your feedback is helpful to other users, thank you!

areichhart
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 24, 2021 8:57:20 AM

will try!
areichhart
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 24, 2021 9:37:18 AM

Thank you for the advice and clarification. We will advice them to replace the exe from a local clean install. Let's hope it helps, and microsoft didn't screw something up (again)