Title Back Colour Keyoti Title Line Title Curve
Blue Box Top

System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file "RapidSpell_UserSettings.xml" - RapidSpell Desktop .NET - Forum

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Options
rrbaiwar
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 2:15:51 PM

Groups: Registered

Hi,

Our clients are intermittently getting the following error

System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file "RapidSpell_UserSettings.xml" because it is being used by another process.

I checked my code and we have not added any code to create the file RapidSpell_UserSettings.xml. Whenever the error appears, it seems to be thrown from the method RapidSpellAsyouType.AddtextComponent. So it seems to be coming from the Keyoti RapidSpell code itself.

When we search the file RapidSpell_UserSettings.xml on client's machine we saw a 0 bytes xml file is getting created for each user under the location

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\IsolatedStorage\<random>\<random>\StrongName.<random>\AssemFiles\RapidSpell_UserSettings.xml

I would like to know the purpose of this usersettings file. Since we are not explicitly using it for any purpose from our code, would it be alright to disable the usersettings options using the following like of code

RapidSpellAsYouType.OptionsEnabled=false

What impact would it have on the overall behavior and would it fix the issue of usersettings file being created and hence the issue of any process locking it would not arise?

Please let me know in case there is any other way to rectify the above intermittent error.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Rushikesh

Jim
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 9:34:22 PM

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Hi Rushikesh, sorry we haven't seen that before - so I don't know what the cause could be (perhaps anti-virus software scanning the file?).

That file is created in .NET's Isolated Storage, it's purpose is to store the user's options as set from the "Options..." button which is available in the dialog spell checker (as created by the RapidSpellDialog control).

Yes, you can disable it as you asked, and you should do the same in RapidSpellDialog if you're using that. If your users are not changing the default settings, then it won't have any effect on their experience if it is disabled. I believe it will also solve your problem.

An alternative that might work for you is to specify that the path is relative to your EXE instead of in IsolatedStorage (this won't work if your EXE is somewhere where only admin can write): do this with the OptionsStorageLocation and OptionsFileName properties.

There's more in the help section on user options.

Best
Jim
-your feedback is helpful to other users, thank you!